27 August 2020

1,000 networks peering at DE-CIX Frankfurt

In August, we connected the 1,000th network to peer at DE-CIX in Frankfurt – a milestone to be celebrated. Due to the ongoing pandemic, we cannot celebrate with a cake as we would have wanted, but we will hopefully make up for it later in the year!

Reaching the milestone of more than 1,000 connected networks in Frankfurt comes after a series of record breaks in Frankfurt. In September last year, the speed barrier of 7 Terabits per second (Tbps) in data throughput was broken, followed by a further record of 8.1 Tbps in mid-December. In February 2020, it went up to 8.3 Tbps and then the biggest jump to over 9 Tbps in March, shortly before the whole DE-CIX team started working from home due to the Covid-19 measures. 

The new milestone of 1,000 connected networks in Frankfurt is the result of ongoing growth; a milestone of an interconnection ecosystem without equal.

Enough capacity for future records

Even with ongoing traffic peaks and new customers, there is always room for new records to be set. At DE-CIX, we continue expanding our capacity as soon as 63 percent of the existing capacities are reached. The remaining 37 percent free capacity is needed to create redundancy, and to ensure that we always have enough free capacity for traffic growth.

1,000 networks, 25 years of history – without you, it would not have been possible

Frankfurt is where it all started 25 years ago and so we are happy to celebrate this milestone on our anniversary year. With more than 1,000 connected networks, DE-CIX Frankfurt is truly is the world's leading Internet Exchange. We want to use this milestone to say a big thank you to all connected networks. Without you, the Internet would not be the same.

Welcome to all our new customers and happy peering!